Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Moon and the Wanderers



With wonder I saw tonight the near full moon
Rising in the East and overhead Jupiter Zeus King
Of the gods fallen from grace seldom seen now
And to the West dazzling Venus Aphrodite in the afterglow
Of the Sun fading behind trees bare in the Winter that
Did not come veins reaching to a sky no one looks at here
Gods that I have seen all my life on other continents
In the other hemisphere on islands in the Pacific
Moon planets stars that have been my truest companions
Immortal still unmurdered yet by humans as I
Wonder how a planet molten and burning like Venus
Could be so beautiful across the abyss separating us
Have we all lost perspective gazing rather at the voids
Between us and others the incomprehension of our world
Spinning to no purpose as we pollute the sky
The ocean the landscapes everything we once called sublime
For thousands of years because in our ignorance and our
Selfishness our desire to be gods ourselves
We destroy destroy destroy
Each other and our world 
And still there is this wonder of  two dazzling planets above me
And a moon veiled with a wisp of cloud that give me joy
To know they will be here when I am not.

Jack 2/5/12

No comments: