Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fifth of May


As my partner in husbandry celebrates in drag
This Cinco de Mayo I watch once more Frida
Watch her kiss the goatee mouth of Trotsky
Watch as they climb the Pyramid of the Moon
Teotihuacan where I too ascended the Pyramid
Amid my youth full of love and dreams
Unafraid of the skeletons of Mexico's dead

There is no monogamy for old lovers or
Straight women for desire is too strong
Witness Frida's hair strewn about her 
Beating heart torn away as if by Aztec god
Until  in Paris finding existential liberation
Frida Kahlo and Josephine Baker dance 
Revelation freeing Frida from Rivera's grip

My partner dances in a bar called Heretic
As I wander past the blue walls and peacocks
Frida's garden of love and pain
My twenty years against her twenty-five loving
Diego
My crashes nothing compared to hers
My art shallow beside her depths

Morphine takes her through her day of the Dead
Wine softens my solitude on this Fifth of May


Jack  5/5/10 





No comments: